Expanding the species covered in GRO?

Martin Reid
Expanding the species covered in GRO?

Post by Martin Reid » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:07 pm

I was wondering if there are any plans to add more species to the GRO site? It is inevitable that the origins of this terrific site were rather Euro-centric, but I imagine it was always the intention to expand to cover as many taxa as possible.
I'd be happy to contribute for some uncovered species for which I have extensive material (e.g. Franklin's Gull, Laughing Gull) - but is this work already underway?
Thanks,
Martin

marsmuusse

Re: Expanding the species covered in GRO?

Post by marsmuusse » Tue May 24, 2016 5:22 am

Hi Martin,
As one of the moderators, I would be happy to see more taxa included on ORG. Actually, that process is right going on as we write! I have some recent contacts in Asia for instance to focus on species like Slaty-backed, Vega and Black-tailed Gull.
If you have an extensive archive for taxa like Laughing, Bonapartes and Franklin's Gull, and you like to share these images, I'm happy to help you with that. I sincerely hope we can also bring together more 'in depth' info on such species, like migration strategies, moult process and timing, breeding ecology, etc. Just anything that may be relevant for interested readers and site visitors. Such info can be obtained easily from PDF files.

Of course, when your archive doesn't cover all months for the complete calendar year, it may be great to get more participants / photographers contributing as well and contact them?

Anyway, lets stay in touch, also to work out who will be doing what subject. For me, the overall site is never 'really finished' and always in progress, as its an ongoing process with more info added when available or published; or pictures taken out to get new pictures in, etc. So: no rush for as far as I'm concerned... To illustrate the general concept for the pages (as far as I see it, but open for discussion of course) I have added an attachment.

Cheers, Mars