caspian? what do you guys think.

Rui_Caratão
caspian? what do you guys think.

Post by Rui_Caratão » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Hello everyone,

Yesterday at Peniche harbour, this gull was roosting at the peer. Underwing much like caspian, but not on the pale end, with axillaries milk/chocolate tone, ex: http://gull-research.org/cachinnans/2cy/2cyfebr36.html . Coverts pattern, tertials and overhall structure much like what I would expected from a caspian and diferent from local lusitanius or michahellis at the place.
What do you guys think? We clearly need your caspian expertise on this ind.

This ind was also present, and the only one that shared with the putative caspian the same degree of ware on primaries. Later on I though if caspian blood couldnt also be involved. This ind http://gull-research.org/cachinnans/2cy/2cyfebr31.html is very similar

cheers,
Rui Caratão

marsmuusse

Re: caspian? what do you guys think.

Post by marsmuusse » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi Rui,
I think both birds are michahellis / lusitanius. The very blotchy patterns on 2nd gen coverts and scaps do not recall cachinnans in my opinion. And they 'feel' micha-like.

Cheers, Mars

Rui_Caratão

Re: caspian? what do you guys think.

Post by Rui_Caratão » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:39 am

Hi Mars, thanks. Photos are crappy and scap pattern really looks to blotched in them, but this gull (1st one) gave in the field another impression and searching again in my photo arkive I managed to find another one where a few plain grey feathers are visible along with some anchor shaped with grey ground tone( I should take notes next time, and not rely so much on digiscoped photos). I guess that uniform brown greater and median coverts with white edges can look like some lusitanius pattern but it seemed that they have a diferent feeling, more dense, uniform and older.... to me very diferent from local lusies!

cheers,
Rui