GBBG or HG?

hieraaetus
GBBG or HG?

Post by hieraaetus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just seen a bird at the local dump near Debrecen, Hungary. My first impression was that it is a good candidate for a 1st-winter GBBG but somehow its bill and size were not too convincing.
Other features like greater coverts, tail pattern look good to me.
I attached some photos showing it from most angles.

I would appreciate your comments on this bird!

Best wishes,

Gabor
Attachments
_MG_8142.jpg
_MG_8142.jpg (197.9KiB)Viewed 5557 times
_MG_8114.jpg
_MG_8114.jpg (244.45KiB)Viewed 5557 times
_MG_7958.jpg
_MG_7958.jpg (265.36KiB)Viewed 5557 times
_MG_7956.jpg
_MG_7956.jpg (264.68KiB)Viewed 5557 times
_MG_7947.jpg
_MG_7947.jpg (182.13KiB)Viewed 5557 times
_MG_7943.jpg
_MG_7943.jpg (259.2KiB)Viewed 5557 times

adriaens

Re: GBBG or HG?

Post by adriaens » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi,
it is a Herring Gull.
The underwing coverts are too pale for GBBG, the pattern on scapulars and (upper)wing coverts appears too thin/delicate, and the pattern on inner primaries is not too good either.

hieraaetus

Post by hieraaetus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm

adriaens wrote:Hi,
it is a Herring Gull.
The underwing coverts are too pale for GBBG, the pattern on scapulars and (upper)wing coverts appears too thin/delicate, and the pattern on inner primaries is not too good either.
Hi Adriaens,

Thanks for your comment!

How about that tail pattern? Is that within variation of the HG? And the very pale GC pattern? That looks exactly like that of a 1st-winter GBBG from last year.
Also, moult stage is a bit advanced for HG isn't it, as well as for GBBG?

To me this bird shows a mixture of features of YLG, GBBG, HG..I know that hybrid theories will never be solved unless knowning the origin but why not a hybrid of two of those three?

I have attached 2 shots of the 1st-winter GBBG from last year and two of this particular bird. I don't really see too much difference in the paleness on the underwing, at least not if I count in the shadow effect on the picture of the GBBG:)

Cheers,

Gabor
Attachments
marinus_possible_2014october.jpg
marinus_possible_2014october.jpg (232.87KiB)Viewed 5537 times
marinus_2013november.jpg
marinus_2013november.jpg (258.38KiB)Viewed 5537 times
marinus2_possible_2014october.jpg
marinus2_possible_2014october.jpg (169.33KiB)Viewed 5537 times
marinus2_2013november.jpg
marinus2_2013november.jpg (151.69KiB)Viewed 5537 times

adriaens

Post by adriaens » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, all within variation of Herring Gull.

marsmuusse

Post by marsmuusse » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Gabor,
A bird with extensive and early moult. All scaps replaced and in both wings it has replaced inner greater and inner median coverts. Moult strategy like in michahellis...

lou bertalan

Post by lou bertalan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:33 pm

...or cachinnans. admittedly there's little in this bird (apart somewhat from bill shape) reminding of cachinnans but if we assume this bird is somewhere from western european russia, a combo of pale/contrasting herring gull plumage and some 'eastern genes' (whatever features they support or cosupport) of formerly more southern breeders like cachinnans - you might get a bird like this with (slight) advance in moult. a few replaced coverts are even within tatus itself.
actually such a micha-like tatus-pattern is most commonly found in the (eastern) baltic sea. cachoid traits in many ind. from finland might suggest influence of heuglini/cachinnans, such as the darker-than usual outer webs in inner primaries, seen in this bird.
isn't it funny, that 4 different species have been proposed for this bird?
to me it is at least an 80% argie.

hieraaetus

Post by hieraaetus » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:36 pm

lou bertalan wrote:...or cachinnans. admittedly there's little in this bird (apart somewhat from bill shape) reminding of cachinnans but if we assume this bird is somewhere from western european russia, a combo of pale/contrasting herring gull plumage and some 'eastern genes' (whatever features they support or cosupport) of formerly more southern breeders like cachinnans - you might get a bird like this with (slight) advance in moult. a few replaced coverts are even within tatus itself.
actually such a micha-like tatus-pattern is most commonly found in the (eastern) baltic sea. cachoid traits in many ind. from finland might suggest influence of heuglini/cachinnans, such as the darker-than usual outer webs in inner primaries, seen in this bird.
isn't it funny, that 4 different species have been proposed for this bird?
to me it is at least an 80% argie.
Hi Lou,

Interesting what you said: "isn't it funny, that 4 different species have been proposed for this bird?"
That's almost how it went while I was watching the bird. Three (GBBG,HG,YLG) of those four species came in mind in a sequence depending on the angle, the different features could be seen or the comparison with the surrounding species. For some reason I didn't get the feeling of CG.
I saw the bird 2 days later. it was easy to recognize.

Cheers,

Gabor