cachinnans or similar? Uganda

Jeremy Barker
cachinnans or similar? Uganda

Post by Jeremy Barker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi all,
I've been caught up trying to ID an adult yellow-legged gull in Uganda via inaturalist.org. The observer initially suggested it might be michahellis, which I felt wasn't the case: out of range (?), bill too fine and the bird doesn't look square enough, somehow. Another opinion was voiced for fuscus graellsii, but that also doesn't seem right to me: even with bright African sunshine, the mantle seems too pale and again the head/bill structure appear wrong. I was tentatively heading down the route of heuglini or barabensis, but without real-life experience of either taxon I'm floundering somewhat. If anyone has an opinion on this bird and can give me some ID pointers I'd be really grateful. Even if it shows I'm just being a muppet :)

The background details to go with the photos (I have asked for and received permission to use them :) !) are: photographed July 31st 2018 at Kasese, Q. Elizabeth NP in Uganda, approx Lat: -0.175578 Lon: 29.903368. Original observation on iNat is https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/16119908 if there are any users on here.

Many thanks for any and all help!

Jeremy
Attachments
original.jpg
original.jpg (501.7KiB)Viewed 4284 times
original (3).jpg
original (3).jpg (665.68KiB)Viewed 4284 times
original (2).jpg
original (2).jpg (501.77KiB)Viewed 4284 times

marsmuusse

Re: cachinnans or similar? Uganda

Post by marsmuusse » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi jeremy,

Indeed a kind of female type cachinnans, but maybe barabensis is a better fit on structure. Remember there is a vast area in central Russia where several taxa meet (the "Greg region", http://gull-research.org/cachinnans/01greg03.html ).
Also remember that cachinnans has a large breeding range over the Kazakh steppe belt, and some authors let the barabensis breeding area start from the Omsk region northwards only.

Jeremy Barker

Re: cachinnans or similar? Uganda

Post by Jeremy Barker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks Mars,

I hadn't seen the post about the 'Greg region' - that gives me plenty more to think about!

Jeremy