barabensis in hong kong?

lou bertalan
barabensis in hong kong?

Post by lou bertalan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm

hi,

with so many coverts replaced wouldn't this make a more southerly breeder like barabensis? 1st winter mongolicus usually looks significantly different!

lou

JanJ

Re: barabensis in hong kong?

Post by JanJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:40 pm

lou bertalan wrote:hi,

with so many coverts replaced wouldn't this make a more southerly breeder like barabensis? 1st winter mongolicus usually looks significantly different!

lou
Would be nice to see some pic. Lou!

Jan

lou bertalan

Post by lou bertalan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 pm

italianbirder

Post by italianbirder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Interesting advanced moult of scapulars and tertials...
Last edited by italianbirder on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Menotti Passarella
Italy
http://gabbianigulls.blogspot.com/

Hans Larsson

Post by Hans Larsson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 pm

With that crisp juvenile wing (and tail!) it looks like a nice northern bred heuglini/taymyrensis to me.

JanJ

Post by JanJ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi Lou.

I think Niel might be right in heuglini. Mongolian and Vega can be excluded by the dark greater coverts and for mongolian also the relatively broad tailband and inner primary pattern for both. It also seems to have moulted a few inner greater coverts - which is not in line with the two mentioned but would be possible for heuglini, at least 'eastern' I think. Appart from that, I can´t say for sure that the replaced coverts would exclude 'eastern' heuglini at this time of year. However, it does have several type barabensis features if you like, such as the tailband, inner primaries and scapular pattern to mention a few characters. Difficult to see the overall jizz from the pic, which is a very good image - all in line with the ones Niel usually produces!

Yes, as I see Hans has mentioned, the freshness - not to be forgotten - as I just did.... ;)

Jan