Herring Gull or???

Kent Olsen
Herring Gull or???

Post by Kent Olsen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 pm

This second winter gull from Denmark has been debated: http://langelandsfugle.wordpress.com/20 ... comment-31

Some states that it is a Caspian Gull, but to me it is most likely a Herring Gull (rather matching this one: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=469#p2036)

Any comments on the Danish gull?

Kent
Attachments
IMG_2329.jpg
IMG_2329.jpg (235.62KiB)Viewed 2786 times

Theo Muusse

Re: Herring Gull or???

Post by Theo Muusse » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:48 am

Normally, I repeat normally, I would expect a Caspian of this age to be cleaner, with more contrasting scaps and coverts.
A flight shot to show us?

Theo

Kent Olsen

Post by Kent Olsen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 am

I did not myself see the gull and the observer only managed this single shot, so we have no view of tail or opened wing. It might not be possible to judge from this single photo, but I have trouble seeing any white p10 mirror, I find the upperpart pattern rather unusual for a second winter cachinnans and find the proportions quite like argentatus, but naturally I could be wrong.

Cheers Kent

JanJ

Post by JanJ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Even if there´s a certain degree of Caspian jizz I find it difficult to see it as one, at least from a 3cy point of view. At first it looks like the median coverts are missing but they are blown by the wind. Usually there´s some form of mirror on p10 but a lack of one is not unique. The clean white head, breast and underparts and quite obvious white eye lids. Compare structure with the Herring behind, which btw has a similar wing lengt.
Maybe if we put some more 3rd generation scapulars, all or a few median coverts (and perhaps a mirror on p10), we would have a more typical 3cy (if you like) Caspian...

JanJ

lou bertalan

Post by lou bertalan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 pm

hi kent,

not an easy ID. but the coverts indeed look messy and there should be more grey scaps and cleaner tertials also. maybe a child of mixture? certainly not a typical cach.

lou