Putative Kumliens Gull in Denmark?

Kent Olsen
Putative Kumliens Gull in Denmark?

Post by Kent Olsen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi all

Some of you might have seen this gull many years ago, but as time goes on we learn new things and gain more experience with odd individuals, so please have a look again ;-)

http://gulldk.blogspot.com/2008/01/kuml ... lieni.html

There has been some debate concerning the age of the bird, in the beginning when only seen at some distance it was suspected as being a 4th winter (5K) based on the apparently pure adult plumage with completely white tail and all adult tertials and the only exceptions being the extreme nicotine brown shawl and hooded appearance and the retarded development in bill colour. But after closer examinations the immature wash on primary coverts along with some markings on the inner primaries became apparent and it was then re-aged as a 3rd winter (4K) gull.

Any suggestions on age and ID would be much appreciated

Cheers, Kent

Theo Muusse

Re: Putative Kumliens Gull in Denmark?

Post by Theo Muusse » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 am

Based on bill colour and plumage, I feel for 3rd winter too.
The thing is, anything more than white outer primaries (tip, inner web) would make it a kumlieni...
But I have been wrong before so let's wait for Peter.

Theo

adriaens

Post by adriaens » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Coincidence or not, but I have just come back from a trip to Iceland, to study Iceland Gulls (among other).
Second- and third-cycle birds (especially 'retarded' individuals) can certainly show (pale) brown-washed outer primaries!

The Danish birds looks like a 3rd-cycle. I don't think you can exclude glaucoides...

JanJ

Post by JanJ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Interesting pic. by Hans here in connection with the above stated

http://www.pbase.com/hans_larsson/glauc ... 0&page=all

Jan