Pale eyes with open wing:)

hieraaetus
Pale eyes with open wing:)

Post by hieraaetus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I was lucky today (03.24.) to find another pale-eyed CG at my local spot near Debrecen, Hungary.
Fortunately it gave me a chance to take some acceptable pictures of the open wing. Black markings down to P4 and the narrow white inner primary edges besides the eye color should suggest 'heinei' again?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Gabor
Attachments
ad_II_presumed_heinei_20120324.jpg
ad_II_presumed_heinei_20120324.jpg (180.01KiB)Viewed 7637 times
ad_I_presumed_heinei_20120324.jpg
ad_I_presumed_heinei_20120324.jpg (188.86KiB)Viewed 7637 times
ad_presumed_heinei_20120324.jpg
ad_presumed_heinei_20120324.jpg (203.04KiB)Viewed 7637 times

Cristian Mihai

Re: Pale eyes with open wing:)

Post by Cristian Mihai » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:25 pm

In my humble opinion it looks good for a heinei.

hieraaetus

Post by hieraaetus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Cristian Mihai wrote:In my humble opinion it looks good for a heinei.
Hi Cristian,

Thanks for your input. What exactly makes you think it's good for 'heinei'? (I am just trying to learn here:)
You probably get them in good numbers along the Black sea coast, don't you?

There is no accepted record of this subspecies by the latest version of the Annotated List of Birds of Hungary.

Cheers,

Gabor

Luka Jurinovic

Post by Luka Jurinovic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 am

hieraaetus

Post by hieraaetus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Luka Jurinovic wrote:Hi Gabor,

check this http://chrisgibbins-gullsbirds.blogspot ... einei.html

cheers

Luka

Hi Luka,

Thanks, I know this post. Actually it was the one that made me take more careful observations of CGs:)
Well, they have basically left my gull-spot so I have to wait until late fall too see some again.

Cheers,

Gabor

ps: your BHGs keep coming though:)

Chris Gibbins

Post by Chris Gibbins » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 am

Hi. This is superb. Thanks for these images. What a bird, and it seems to me to be very very strong candidate:

1. Full (and rather deep) black band on P5
2. Much black also p4 (both webs in fact, which is very encouraging)
3. Black on p8 nearly all way to primary coverts on both webs
4. Black on P7 extending on outer web 75-80 % of way to primary coverts
5. Black P6 (outer web) extending more than 50% of way to primary coverts
6. Pale eye

I'd need to get original images and measure properly, but from what i can see looking at web pics it seems sit very easily within heinei (comparible % values for canus are on my blog, as referenced by Luka)

Secondary characters also are lots of black at tip of P10, no mirror on P8 and small mirror P9 (these features overlap a bit more with canus, hence only supporting).Upperparts look to be dark and lacking bluish cast of canus, but of course this is tricky/impossible from photos to comment on with any certainty.

I think together these things build a strong case. fantastic. Your bird has brought a smile to my face.

For info, I have a full paper on this topic written and to be published in a forthcoming book. Once published it will circulate details.

hieraaetus

Post by hieraaetus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 am

Chris Gibbins wrote:Hi. This is superb. Thanks for these images. What a bird, and it seems to me to be very very strong candidate:

1. Full (and rather deep) black band on P5
2. Much black also p4 (both webs in fact, which is very encouraging)
3. Black on p8 nearly all way to primary coverts on both webs
4. Black on P7 extending on outer web 75-80 % of way to primary coverts
5. Black P6 (outer web) extending more than 50% of way to primary coverts
6. Pale eye

I'd need to get original images and measure properly, but from what i can see looking at web pics it seems sit very easily within heinei (comparible % values for canus are on my blog, as referenced by Luka)

Secondary characters also are lots of black at tip of P10, no mirror on P8 and small mirror P9 (these features overlap a bit more with canus, hence only supporting).Upperparts look to be dark and lacking bluish cast of canus, but of course this is tricky/impossible from photos to comment on with any certainty.

I think together these things build a strong case. fantastic. Your bird has brought a smile to my face.

For info, I have a full paper on this topic written and to be published in a forthcoming book. Once published it will circulate details.

Thanks Chris,

Believe me I was smiling too when I saw that actually there were some keepers among the pictures. I wish I could have taken some flight shots of the other two birds the other day..

Is it okay if I send you some high resolution pictures to the email address I sent the black kites from Kazakhstan before?

Cheers,

Gabor

ps: Can't wait to see the paper you mentioned!