gulls of crete

lou bertalan
gulls of crete

Post by lou bertalan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 pm

hi,

michalis dretakis has opened his own facebook-site "Gulls of Crete", and i was trying to ID some mysteries. especially i'd like to hear your opinion about this set: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 450&type=1 it contains 3 very interesting birds. you can see my comments there and post your opinion directly in the blog. 2 of the birds are very advanced 2nd cycles (one even with an almost white tail) with rather pale grey mantle which i associate with barabensis. but is that really the best choice? - given the knowledge that they should have a more easterly migration route and there is no (??) sure record in europe west of russia so far? bill is very weak, nothing i'd associate with armenicus, which otherwise could be another good candidate. please help :?
you would enjoy these great 2nd cycle heuglini/barabensis types - nothing we see elsewhere in europe that easy (except maybe for finland).

lou

Theo Muusse

Re: gulls of crete

Post by Theo Muusse » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Yes, mysteries.
I think I see a 2nd winter heuglini.
The other two I do not want to guess yet.

Theo

lou bertalan

Post by lou bertalan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:15 am

the question is: can the ID as barabensis be supported based on what we see: a pale mantle, dark inner primaries, one within primary moult which might be too late for steppe gull? do heuglini get this pale? and the 3 birds (including the clearer heuglini) were said to be surprisingly small (thought to be common gulls initially...). barabensis visits israel regularly so it would be interesting to confirm its identity on crete, this would be the westernmost stray post we know, if it passes/winters regularly on the island.

adriaens

Post by adriaens » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 am

I would be extremely cautious with identifying out of range barabensis, even in Israel.
There appear to be quite a lot of strange, "barabensis-like" birds around in the Middle East in winter.
I will do a post on them on Birdingfrontiers shortly.

lou bertalan

Post by lou bertalan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 pm

adriaens wrote:I would be extremely cautious with identifying out of range barabensis, even in Israel.
There appear to be quite a lot of strange, "barabensis-like" birds around in the Middle East in winter.
I will do a post on them on Birdingfrontiers shortly.
thanks for this, peter. i'm quite confused by such birds which are pale mantled but fit the fast cycle sequence of heuglini/barabensis. i have not seen such birds in romania for instance but following the crete "mysteries" over the last years there are eventually birds like this. also from the southern black sea coast (samsun) - some look quite intermediate between cachi and micha or armenicus there...
i'm looking forward to your post in birdingfrontiers. has anybody colour-ringed barabensis on breeding grounds, yet? it seems not.

lou

adriaens

Post by adriaens » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:19 pm