Ringed l.michahellis x l.a. argenteus

Albert de Jong
Ringed l.michahellis x l.a. argenteus

Post by Albert de Jong » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday we got this offspring of a known breeding pair michahellis x argenteus from 2013. This bird was ringed as a chick in the colony near Amerongen, Utrecht, The Netherlands on June 14, 2013 by Roland-Jan Buijs. He ringed it with black-yellow MT on the tibia. See also pair VI: http://birdingwageningen.blogspot.nl/20 ... en-en.html
Place of observation: a misty Rubbish dump, Barneveld
Observers: Merijn Loeve, Jasper Koster, Jesse Keyzer and me aka the four feather fools

The bird is a 2cy now and based on size most likely a female one. Without a ring, I think we would have written it down as a l. argentatus with a striking tail. Apart from the head, the structure didn't ring bells for michahellis. Furthermore, the notchy pattern in coverts look like that of argenteus as the bill does. The tail pattern reminds of l. cachinnans: quite broad band with a lot of subterminal markings and mostly unmarked uppertail coverts. But in most cachinnans, I presume more tiny subterminal markings.
The inner primaries are too pale for michahellis and resembling argentatus, without contrast between the flags. Secondaries are rather black-white, but not that clean as you would expect in a michahellis of this age.
Attachments
Michahellis_x_argenteus_2cy_2014_12_9_Barneveld_BY-MT_AlbertdeJong2.jpg
Tail
Michahellis_x_argenteus_2cy_2014_12_9_Barneveld_BY-MT_AlbertdeJong2.jpg (167.03KiB)Viewed 14796 times
Michahellis_x_argenteus_2cy_2014_12_9_Barneveld_BY-MT_AlbertdeJong1.jpg
Open wing
Michahellis_x_argenteus_2cy_2014_12_9_Barneveld_BY-MT_AlbertdeJong1.jpg (192.37KiB)Viewed 14796 times